80% of Panama restaurants are operating

828Views 16Comments Posted 22/10/2020

Four weeks after the restart of operations after being closed by the pandemic for more than 7 months, some  80% of Panama  are operating, but  1,750 stores dedicated to the sale of prepared food did not survive the quarantine reports the Restaurant Association.

This figure represents 25% of the 7 thousand restaurants that were active before the arrival of the virus in Panama, last March.

The association  has high expectations after the end of the Sunday quarantine was decreed.

"On Sundays families go out to eat, and we expect a rebound with the end of the quarantine, although we will also have to better manage the spaces inside the premises," said an Association statement.

Inside restaurants, tables should be two meters apart.

Related Articles

puravida1957

TerraMar2015

Yo TOMCAT & DOLEGA...Yes, us that are past of our "sell by date" can get touchy, but with good reason. I will turn 79 next month. Can I challenge you both to compare sagging skin and liver spot with me? But I guess it's a useless challenge as you would get "mud in your face", and like your good president, you would not have the decency to admit you were wrong. Oh well...it was worth a try, I guess.

dolega...I think you're a racist idiot that denigrates the local population at the drop of a hat. Why are you still here if you hate it so much?

Dolega

Tomcat I think Casual observer is a little touchy about his advanced age. Sagging sking and liver spots will do that to ya.

You wearing a mask yet slick? Things are going down the tubes where you are. Why don't you be a "macho man", not wear a mask and dance to the gay pride tune like your clueless goober hero?

Tomcat

Once you get past your use by date like casual observer then your taste buds start to fail. Salty and sweet are the two that are sensed at his age. That's why fonda food suits him. If you are poor head to Panama if not you have much better options open to you.

Good grief. I've been here 8 1/2 years and drink tap water, eat at tipco restaurants regularly and have NEVER been sick. You whiners need to get out soon. If you have constants mold, you chose poorly. Many micro climates to choose from. Being a victim of your own stupidity doesn't afford you the right to blame others for your decisions.

Volcan fresas

The buyer's remorse and misery index is off the charts. I know I can never sell so it's better to accept my fate and try to find some peace in all this misery. I am going to look at taking up pottery. I have heard it helps with the stress of having to live here. We are all in the same miserable boat if that is any condolence. I will pray for you Beth and Marty. We actually met once at costmart and went for gelatto together after. 2017 I think.

Kathy

The mold and mildew is the worst here. A constant battle daily. I am at my wits end with it. It was my husbands idea to come here but he isn't the one having to deal with the problems I am. I have learned to hate Panama and it's dirty people. I put my best smile on in public but I loathe this place. Divorce crosses my mind daily now. I certainly don't want to waste more of my life here.

Jimmy

Jeesh can't you just burn the house take the insurance money and flee? They don't have home insurance in Panama?

Tomcat

Marty you need to advertise in Europe. The Euro is stronger than the dollar and so it's cheaper for them to purchase in Panama. Italy has been hard hit by covid and many are fed up there. Better chance of finding a sucker in Europe than the USA because the word is out on Panama here and people know not to buy there.

Punta Arenas

The filthy restaurants are the least of our worries now. Covid, economic depression setting in, collapsing real estate prices, marked increase in violent crimes etc. When we retired here in 2011 Martinelli was improving roads and infrastructure, International living and other sites were heavily promoting Panama. It looked like it was on the cusp of becoming a second world country. Since then nothing has improved. Roads built by Martinelli are just potholes barely passable. The electric water have not been improved upon and frequently you are without one or both. Our best hope to sell and escape is after the election in the USA. That's our best shot at finding a person so upset they will buy in Panama. The prospect of living the rest of our lives here is real and seems more likely everyday. Please keep us in your prayers. Marty and Beth.

Seashell

You can smell the meat dept as soon as you enter the supermarkets here. The smell of "off" meat and bleach. A friend of mine who is butcher at supe carne said to never buy the carne molida because all the bad meat does not get thrown away it just gets ground and mixed with some fresher meat. When deli meats go bad they grind those in with the carne molida also. Now you know why the carne mida smells bad as soon as you get it home. Chronic diarrhea is common here from the nasty food and the filthy water provided by idaan. If you have money don't come to Panama you can afford much better.

Dolega

Cleanliness is not a strong point here in Panama and all food is suspect. People here have no concept of how fast bacteria grows in this hot climate. I went into the bread store and inside the glass display case were dozens of flies. People were buying the pastries and bread even though there were flies all over them. I just shook my head and left. For the locals it's normal but for civilized people it's not. I prepare food at home and carry a snack if I will be out for the day. It's just not worth the gross factor, diarrhea or even covid as has been pointed out. I expect a big leap in illness by Thanksgiving.

James

We eat franchise (McD, Wendys) and a few restaurants - carry out only. Still alive but not betting on anything

Penelope

Who's cooking your food? Who's asymptomatic but handling and breathing on your food? Sanitation practices in panama are abhorrent and going out to eat is more than just nasty it's now deadly.