Uber cash ploy riles users, taxis

742Views 19Comments Posted 05/08/2016

UBER’S  move to allow Panama passengers to pay cash has aroused a fresh storm of controversy  including drivers of the yellow hornets, sometimes referred to as taxis, and current Uber users.

The predictable outcry from the taxi owners is because they see the cash option as another major incursion into their fare base, which consists largely of lower income groups, now targeted by Uber because many of them do not possess debit or credit cards, but do possess a cell phone.

The outcry on social media and via call-in programs on radio and TV, is from current users of the service who complain that allowing Uber drivers to accept cash converts them to the level of pirate taxis, making them and passengers vulnerable to assault and robbery.

Meanwhile the Transit Authority (ATTT) announced an investigation into the legality of Uber drivers ccepting cash

Protesting taxi drivers blocked roads in several locations on Friday, August 5.

The carrier leader Rafael Reyes said that that President Juan Carlos Varela said that Uber would  not affect the selective transport of the country, but is doing so more now with the cash payment option.
"We reject this illegal platform," said Reyes, who requested a formal statement by the Transit Authority and Land Transportation (ATTT) on the new form of payment,
Ulysses Calvo, legal director of the ATTT, explained that theUber  business decision to accept cash Uber will be incorporated as another factor in the file that  it keeps open..

This update to the system is done because "many users do not have access to a credit card or debit card and, , wish to have other payment options," said an  Uber  statement.

rumple4skin

I apologise. Your identity is not in question. It is because you 'sound' so very much like a newsroom favorite poster I erroneously believed you are that character. Allow me to reintroduce myself: I welcome diverse opinion. I read all posts and try to learn new perspectives. I am as as close personal perfection as anybody trying to do so. I am not among birds that fly with comfortable others. I am most like an eagle and soar alone. I respect common sense responses and support same with a FB 'like'. I call bullshit when it is presented. Some opinions are worthless. Some are worthwhile. I respect them all and dismiss stupid. You know stupid when you see it. Parsing words can be fun if understood.

dr.rhianon

I never had another character, it is the imagination of Garlic....furthermore, what I write and what you perceive could be markedly different. Go and harass somebody else, you "perfect person".

rumple4skin

You said "I am posting as dr. Rhianon the better part of 3 decades." Your wording suggested dr rhainon had been posting here ... this blog ... for that time. Don't waste my time parsing words. You are welcome for taking unpaid supervision. Where is the other character of yours located these days. Blocked?

dr.rhianon

I never said that it was on this blog, however thank you kindly for your supervision.

rumple4skin

Not 30 years on this blog. Perhaps another time, another site, another galaxy.

dr.rhianon

It is she, and I am posting as dr. Rhianon the better part of 3 decades.

dr.rhianon

rumple4skin

He never left. He used another name after thoroughly establishing himself as an escapee from the internet loony bin. He called himself Dr rhianon.

mhogan

Hey, welcome back! To edit: after you post your comments, you will see an "Edit" function on the bottom of your posting. Hit this and it will bring you into editing mode. After you do your edit, it will allow you to "save" the edit. Hope it helps.

Rhianon

How do I edit my post ?

Rhianon

Garlicball can not help himself being argumentative and using his peers brain spooying stupid staff, and pretending that he has a doctoral degree. However, based on his comments here ,he does not seem to have.

Garlicball

Myrna, continue your low-volt search for validation and support for your hate-Uber position. Even a stopped clock is correct 2 times a day. My Panamanian colleagues would not be caught dead in a yellow taxi. But then again, many locals have been caught dead in these un-maintained hoopties driven by operators with questionable driving skills. It's bumper cars in real time with real lives each time you hit the road. It's part of the culture you seem to have melded with in this regard.

Myrna

He was not an expat! A Panamanian! Who are you to question my intelligence (wattage)? But then I am not a big fan of garlic!

Garlicball

I dare say your recent conversation was with another expat. Very astute for you to get an 'outsider' opinion, Myrna. Your dim-wattage is increasing.

Myrna

My comments were based on a recent conversation with someone in our building. We mentioned that we had just been shopping at a nearby supermarket. His response to us was "you should have used Uber". My light is not "short circuited", but possibly his was!

Garlicball

You are indeed an enlightened expat! I think your light shorted out after you said " We would never use Uber even if it was "free"!" Shame on you. If it's free I'll order two!

Garlicball

The taxi driver is the first road ambassador tourists meet visiting Panama. This initial contact serves as a base for all other encounters with driving in Panama. UBER is invested in rolling stock which appears to be new and safer than the current fleet of hoopties aka 'pirate taxis' to include the kamk-kazi white bus fleet. Whoever controls the Panama taxi fleets is clearly concerned about its cu$tomer base and will disrupt any competition. This so-called dispute is about money, in any form, and control of a service. This drama will be just another real-life soap opera using citizen safety as a continuing theme.

Candid Curmudgeon

No real users of Uber complained. Nobody is required to pay in cash.

Myrna

As expats in Panama for 10 years, we have always used taxis. Never any problems! We would never use Uber even if it was "free"!