Panama opens door to Syrian refugees

2,056Views 63Comments Posted 08/09/2015

WITHIN a couple of days of Pope Francis calling on the world to open its doors to refugees, currently flooding into Europe, Panama’s  President, Juan Carlos Varela, announced that  the government is moving to receive Syrian refugees

"Panama is a caring, humane country, a noble people with big hearts. If we are asked, gladly we would be willing to open the doors. The world needs to open the door to this tragedy the product of the  war  in Syria and Iraq which makes no sense " he said on Tuesday, September 8.

"How could we close doors to people fleeing from war and looking for better days for their  families.  We will contact the UN  immediately through Foreign Affairs  to help in any way we can, "said Varela.

Currently the European Union is discussing how they can divide mandatory quotas of Syrian refugees. Chile has also announced that it is ready to receive refugees.

According to the UN agency for refugees (UNHCR), the war in Syria forced the exodus  of more than 3.8 million p, and 7.6 million are  displaced within the country's borders

d2015

Panama will be better off without another ignorant racist.

tiopirata

What country do you think I am from? Let me give you a clue or two. It is not one that has bombed the crap out of any ME nation. Nor is it in the middle east. It has accepted refugees and intends to accept more, and has no trouble with them. The real world is where I am. Those among you who blindly accept the mainstream media view of world events are mislead, that view plainly does not reflect the real world. Think upon the lies and propaganda that led to ths mess in the first place.

Joseph

You, tiopirata, are just hell bent on justifying Varela's decision aren't you? Such passion over a dumb political decision! ONLY time will tell us about the correctness of this decision, not you. As far as I am concerned you are a front for these jihadists preparing the way for their entry into this country. Your arguments simply reinforce this conviction. As for you name calling " Sticks and stones may hurt my bones but words will never hurt me".

tiopirata

The middle east has absorbed most of them already, particularly Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and most notably Dohuk.

tiopirata

Jihadis are fanatics who never question the law, not unlike yourself I suspect Joseph. I regard such mindless obedience as the mark of an ignoramus.

tiopirata

Troll, I am plainly not an arab. Can you not read? I am an atheistic New Zealander of Jewish descent, educated and travelled as you can see by reading all comments on this forum. Nobody has beheaded anybody here in Panama, and nobody will.

tiopirata

My homeland is New Zealand, and they are accepting refugees. Panama, my place of residence, accepts them and intends to accept more. Panama has many mosques, also churches, temples, even a huge Bahai center. It seems a very tolerant nation. As for why I keep laying this at the feet of the USA, the USA is the problem, as Putin has shown. Are you supporting the USA govt's ruinous intervention in the middle east? Are you aware that there never was any basis for the invasions of either Iraq or Afghanistan? There is no justification for interference by the USA in Syria either. Particularly none for supporting the jihadis against a legitimate, stable and secular government. It is the mark of a patriot to love his country but that does not mean he must also love its government.

tiopirata

Many have, but it becomes an expensive process when you are sent home from foreign airports, particularly when arriving home may mean your execution. Wealth is a relative thing also.

tiopirata

Read our exchange. Had you done you would not ask this question. Are you a troll?

tiopirata

Once upon a time slavery was legal, everything Hitler did was legal in his Germany. 316 million people were legally murdered by their own governments in the 20th century. Freedom requires questioning of the law. I question the law constantly, it is the duty of a patriot. Your non sequitur here is atrocious.

Joseph

This string of comments is amazing. One tiopirata claims all this knowledge and experience from all his travels and all his education trying to lead us all to believe in him and to accept his wisdom. When all this time he is using it all to distract us from the real world. He provides not a single word about his very own homeland refusing to allow a single refugee into his homeland, says nothing about the real happenings in Europe and tries to blame the nature of Jihadists on the USA. Maybe it's time to return home tiopirata before your jihadist friends force you to change or die. You are alone in this string tioperata, almost everyone commenting is against you. SHUTUP.

Joseph

Your logic is really screwed up! Wealthy "refugees" would not be "refugees" They would leave on their own, fly away using normal travel alternatives.

Joseph

See, just like a Jihadist, questioning the law!

Joseph

What difference does that make?

Joseph

I have been more places than you might believe. Why do you keep laying this on the USA? Why do you not answer the question as to why your very own homeland refuses to accept a single one of these refugees? Again I seriously doubt your numbers. How many mosques are their in Panama for all you Arabs?

Joseph

Your rantings about the USA are a mark of a jihadist who wants to distract from the facts, while jihadists infiltrate Panama. Why is your very own country refusing to accept a single one of these "refugees"?

Joseph

I now seriously doubt your numbers. As for US creations what difference does make when they start beheading you Arabs first as traitors then the rest of us.

dr.rhianon

Congratulations your accomplishment.

tiopirata

My degrees are engineering and accountancy. To become a Master usually takes 15 years and is not a degree. You asked my education level and that of my wife, it is what it is and is not inconsiderable, and involves thousands of hours and sea miles all over the World. It has some relevance I suppose to this forum as it has delivered me to such places as Panama and the middle east, informing my views from a practical standpoint. We are straying from the point though, it is not about ourselves but rather the Panamanian president intending to take in Syrian refugees. He rightly observes that we already have more then a third of a million Syrians and Lebanese and they have turned out to be outstanding citizens, why not a few more of the same? I have replied to a number of comments here, my views are clear, and right or wrong they are my views. At least I have taken the opportunity to study the matter n close and not relied upon the media to form my opinion for me. You still have not confirmed that you yourself have done as much.

dr.rhianon

Lecturer is a long way to tenure professors...... most of my graduate student who are working towards their PhD, are given the title of "lecturer".... I guess you equate your ship master degree with the degree of medical doctor degree and PhD.

dr.rhianon

I do live in Panama since longtime and I pay taxes on groceries, etc. I finish the conversation with you, hence that will give a chance to get involved with somebody else in passing match

tiopirata

The under employment is still a major problem here. I have 2 degrees and am also a ship's master. I was also a lecturer at Massey University, Auckland campus. My wife has tertiary qualifications also, and speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Guarani, Arabic. She also traveled for the German Chamber of Commerce and has some German. Since we are now engaged in a pissing match, please do tell me how you have become so knowledgeable about both Panama and the Arabic temperament. May I assume you have visited all these places. Most of the new workers here are from Colombia and Venezuela, not many from Nicaragua. Are you resident here and what Panamanian taxes do you pay?

dr.rhianon

5 and they are not tribal ones, but well known all around the world . What is yours and your wife formal education and in what institution was it awarded. Furthermore, the underemployment was under the previous administration, and that is why lots of Nicaraguan workers were imported. As for the taxes one payee, I guess you are exempt every time you shop at the local grocery stores

tiopirata

Also to note, my wife is Arabic, she speaks 7 languages, how many do You speak?

tiopirata

Are you implying that the law is always right? I am not implying anything except that it should not be the business of the state. I know thousands of Arabs yet have never met one with multiple spouses. I doubt it is a ever going to be an issue.

tiopirata

Do you pay taxes in Panama? There is no social welfare here for non Panamanians, but 129000 jobs needing workers, so no unemployment either. Plainly you do mot understand Panama. Read all the responses on this newsreel and learn something.

tiopirata

Your English is worse then many. How would you know what languages they have mastered? Have you ever spoken to any of these migrants? There are no free services here, you know nothing of Panama either. Who is Carmichael?

tiopirata

That is true, but not the point of this thread. It is not the USA here and Latinos tend to be more tolerant.

tiopirata

Read all my replies to other respondents here. Most importantly do mote that there are already 350,000 Arabs already in Panama and they have the numbers and economic and political dominance to do what they want already. Despite this there is no desire among them, or any other party, to recreate their countries of origin. Observe also the example of Singapore. I am an atheistic Jew for what it is worth. Have you traveled much Joseph? I get the impression you know little of the world outside of the rubbish you read in mainstream media.

Joseph

In order for these refugees to work in Panama the law will have to be changed, a very unlikely event. They may be refugees but still non Panamanians. They will have to show proof of support. Open your eyes. See what is going on in Europe. Are you blind? Are you a follower of Islam? If so, prepare to obey or die.

dr.rhianon

Minor details to you, however , there such a things immigration visa, where you have to provide the truth, etc.

dr.rhianon

Bigamy is against the law, are you advocating breaking the law ?

dr.rhianon

These young adult does not speak any other language except they native lounge, no employable skills, and no desire to engage in manual labor. The only thing they know: extending they hand to get free services. By the way you sound like Carmichael on this forum.

dr.rhianon

Are you going to support these invading hordes with your private money or use my taxes I am paying in order you be generous?

tiopirata

Given that they already are among the richest in an already rich country I am certain they will not wish to upset the apple cart. They have the numbers here too. If you want to get your throat cut by an Arab just mention the word "sharia", that is the last thing they want. Perhaps you did not read my other reply on this matter. Further, the evidence is now in, ISIS, the throat cutting beheading jihadis have now been revealed to be US creations.

Joseph

If this is such a good idea then why do other middle east countries not want a single one of them?

Joseph

But these are not Islamic Jihadists! Are you sure your friends can stay peaceful when these fanatics want to change things like they do in other countries?

Joseph

Good old Catholic Varela.

Joseph

I am sure extremists will sneak in as well as "peaceful" ones. However when the time comes for the extremists to start shoving I am just as sure that the peaceful ones will cave in to them on fear of death because they are ALL Muslims and ALL obey Islamic law. Our only hope is that the National Police can handle the problem before a catastrophe occurs.

tiopirata

My pleasure. My atheism does not prevent me from admiring Jesus and heeding his instructions that we feed the hungry etc. Our president, Juan Carlos Varela is a very religious man and he is plainly taking his obligations seriously, for which I admire him also.

PedasiPaul

Thanks for calling religious bigotry what it is. It is also encouraging to see someone who would welcome the stranger, even as some Christians reject Christ's call that his followers do so. (See Matthew 25.)

tiopirata

Nowhere do I refer to UN agency. I am applauding Varela's acceptance of these refugees. As for taqiyya, have you read my other posts hereon? I refer to both my Arab wife and to the hundreds of thousands of Arabs already here. I have yet o see that 'many of these refugees' are dedicated to this principle despite their having decades and numbers necessary to abandon any pretence. It just has not happened, nor will it. Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Honduras don't have the resources Panama has, why do you bother mentioning them? This article is about Varela's decision to accept middle eastern migrants, not about neighboring countries abilities to do the same, nor really about the UN etc. No, I am on article. These migrants will fit in here as well as I did, Panama is good like that.

crbob1

I believe you are off question in your rambling responses.....it is not up to some UN "humanitarian" agency to dictate to countries what or what not to do.....the IMF, IAEU, and other "World" organizations have already dictated to independent countries enough.....if Panama wants to contribute to a fund to help someone in need, fine, but to be hounded to take thousands of refugees in is beyond the scope of necessity.....is Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, or some other being asked, no, because they know they would not even consider it.....many of these "refugees" are in a large part dedicated to the muslim word "Taqiyya" which means they are lying to people who are not of Islam in order to get their way and will create problems once they are in a country that accepts them....give them help, but keep them out......

tiopirata

Some of these refugees are yezidi, some are Kurds, some are secular, some are even druze. This article was about people escaping death at the hands of Muslims, not about Islam. It seems to me that the cult you describe is very similar to Christianity not very long ago. Did not the American forefathers also flee the old world to evade religious persecution? I agree with you that Islam is wrong but must point out that there are very large numbers of other religions that are also hateful, including Christians. Is not the Westboro Baptist Church all about hate too? Has not Catholicism advanced at the point of the sword? Is not the most pervasive war machine the world has ever known led by 'Christians'? crbob, if you are humanitarian tell me what you have done to improve the lot of your beleaguered fellow man? What would Jesus do here?

crbob1

Islam is a cult, not a religion, these people do not care about the humanatarian nature of the Christian religion, everyone who does not convert to Islam is an infidel and subject to death at the hands of muslims....enough said.....

tiopirata

You make assumptions only. It is true that some are destitute but some that flee once were wealthy. They have accounts in foreign countries. Nobody is hiding that. These are not economic migrants, these are people seeking to save their families. Whatever may be their circumstances, humanity must prevail over politics or bigotry. As for attacking the US, is there anything I have said that is untrue? I would prefer that no one smote anyone, but that example must first be set by the chief aggressor. As for Panama, we currently have a huge labor shortage, we can absorb quite a few of these, happily. As for your experience with refugees, what exactly?

tiopirata

Indeed Panama is predominantly catholic, the point I make is that a discussion of marriage norms is not anything to do with a discussion on refugees, nor is it our business who does what to whom among consenting adults.

Joanne

Well maybe because countries that have laws about that sort of thing will deny them entry. Panama is primarily a Catholic Country regardless of how many Arabs, Jews, Hindi, or multiple other religions or atheists reside in this country.

Joanne

It's been my experience with refugees, that they are fleeing with the clothes on their backs and what they could carry. You must have a far seeing eye to say some of these migrants (refugees) certainly are solvent. Also the way you keep attacking the USA one would think you are one wanting to smite the infidel.

tiopirata

Some of these migrants certainly are solvent, for those that are not we must demonstrate our humanity. There is no social welfare here for the foreign born, but we have no real unemployment either. No problem then

tiopirata

Also to be noted, the northern Iraq province of Dohuk has taken tens of thousands of refugees of all religions and Lebanon currently has about 2.5million.

tiopirata

I agree, anyone who can chop a child in half is a savage, that is what these migrants are fleeing. I live here in Panama with an Arab wife. I have traveled extensively these last 50 years, including to Muslim nations. Not all these refugees are Islamic. Lebanon has, as always, taken the most refugees, 2.5million at last count. It would appear that no particular group has a monopoly on cruelty. I remind all readers here of the horrors of war and that the US has been at war for about 220 of its 240 years, frequently under the most specious of excuses. The US also has the highest incarceration rate in history and employees of the state kill more Americans even then the various wars. We should note that murderous entities abound and ISIS is a good example. Who created ISIS? The US. Is not World domination also the goal of the USA? Before you cast the mote from my eye move the beam from thine own. I recommend you visit the middle east and Panama and avoid obtaining 'facts' from tame media. It appears to be you who has not thought this through.

tiopirata

Possible terrorists?? Perhaps Varela should ban US citizens.

tiopirata

ISIS is a US creation, I doubt the locals will tolerate that here. Despite our very sizeable Arab population there is no movement toward sharia, nobody wants it. Unlike Americans, Panamanians are very politically savvy and the state does not interfere with protest, result, consensus.

tiopirata

Nobody's business but that of those concerned, if women want to have multiple husbands or men multiple wives why should we care?

Patty

tioparata: Name calling is ugly and only shows you have not thought this out. WHY do you think these hundreds of thousands of people are leaving everything behind and escaping to other countries...it would appear that not all Muslims are peace loving apparently. My guess is that anyone that can chop a child in half and hang it's head on a stick is not going to be sickened by his actions or stop. World domination is the ultimate goal of these coward savages. To question if this flood of unknowns from Arab nations being documented is a national security interest. Other than Jordan and Turkey, no other Arab nations have accepted ANY refugees.

tiopirata

What unbelievable ignorance from these commenting here. Panama already has 350,000 Arabs resident here and absolutely no restive behavior. We also have here a large number of Pakistani muslims and and a very influential Jewish population. We all get on here. I am a New Zealander of Jewish and Samoan descent and my wife is Arabic and have lived in Panama for 8 years. Panama welcomes us all, and I take much pride in that. My favorite restaurant, long established here belongs to a partnership of a Jew, a Muslim and a Hindu, all very traditional men who have been friends for 20 years. The only friction I have ever witnessed is when a Hindu team plays a Muslim team at cricket, loud spirited sport and nothing more. What a bunch of ignorant bigots you are, I am delighted you will not be coming here and bringing your intolerance with you. Juan Carlos Varela has made a decision and set an example for the World. Perhaps those who caused this calamitous exodus would do well to follow instead of criticize.

BIG C

What is on the mind of a so-called business man and the President of Panama. Instead of bringing in possible terrorists into the country and helping them financially [which will happen] put the money into helping the people of Panama that need it. To my way of thinking this is grounds for impeachment of the President. smarten up and refuse them entry.

Joanne

How does Panama plan to support these immigrants? Where will they live? Bad idea in my opinion. Not likely they can prove solvency in order to stay in Panama like everyone else has to do. Wonder if they have considered this.

Rob

Too bad Varela is blind to the scourge of Islam. I've been on the fence about moving to Panama... waiting to see what their stance would be on Muslim immigrants. Got my answer. Not going anywhere that Islam is welcomed. Think of what happens when the canal is bombed out and all the huge debt that it has financed can't be paid. Oh Panama you are making a colossal mistake!

Patsy

Does beautiful, wonderful, peaceful Panama need ISIS and Sharia to have a foot hold here? Will there be a serious vetting of who is being allowed into Eden?

Bambu

Big mistake. Apparently the Panamanian government is unaware of Europe's problems with the immigration of muslims and the Islam religion.

Bob

Wonder how they well handle the bigamy?