Oxford University coronavirus  vaccine in production

594Views 13Comments Posted 05/06/2020

The British pharmaceutical group AstraZeneca said on Friday that results are expected in September on the efficacy of the coronavirus vaccine in which it is working with the University of Oxford.

"In September we should know whether or not we have an effective vaccine," company chief executive Pascal Soriot told the BBC.

The University of Oxford, the oldest university in the English speaking world r whose project is funded by the British government, has partnered with this pharmaceutical company to manufacture and distribute the vaccine it is developing worldwide.

Human clinical trials started in late April in the UK and should be done this month in Brazil, which is now "the epicenter of the epidemic," Soriot said. To save time, it was decided not to wait for the results before starting production.

"We are starting to produce this vaccine now, it has to be ready by the time we have the results," Soriot said.

Financial risk
This strategy represents a "financial risk" but "is the only way to have a vaccine available" quickly as soon as its efficacy is confirmed, he added.

AstraZeneca has signed agreements to establish parallel supply chains, including one with the Serum Institute of India for the delivery of one billion doses to low- and middle-income countries, in order to double production capacity to two billion doses.

On Thursday, the group announced a $750 million agreement with two specialized international organizations, CEPI and GAVI, for the manufacture and distribution of 300 million doses, with delivery starting at the end of the year.

A total of ten covid-19 vaccine projects have reached the clinical trial phase worldwide.

Banjaxed

I'm curios, what is it about newsroom Panama that attracts all the opinionated, right wing, conspiracy theory believing fascists and idiots? I know what attracts me. It's all the opinionated, right wing, conspiracy believing fascists and idiots. They make this site very entertaining.

Panama

Read the article, they want to start with low and middle income countries (lab rats), and usually lower education. No lomg term testing except for those low income people. There is no vaccine for upper respiratory infections because if there was then they could have been one for SARS and MERS. vaccine scientists should be forced to test it out on themselves first. It is a shame that thousands of uneducated people will line up like sheep and get it not knowing the risk they are taking. But the devil AKA BILL GATES makes more money he is willing for YOU to maybe die or have life long health problems if he can make a buck. Study what he has done in Africa. Sold his soul to the devil for more money but there is a special place in hell for those that do that

Read it yourself. Its been on trial in the UK not in low income countries. Its thanks to Bill Gates that many improvised families have children now becoming young adults as vaccination has helped eliminate many childhood diseases in those countries Shame on you for belittling such a fine American.

Stupid comment. You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts

Snake Pliskin

I agree with hogan. Personally, I would rather take my chances with C19 than to lose freedom. These people have never been a slave and do not understand the concept. Left-wing upper-crusty liberals living their pampered lives and never knowing what it feels like to go hungry for an extended amount of time.

Mhogan

Observer, your duplicated postings do not convince me that you know anything about vaccines, their safety or their efficacy, so I shall not waste my time debating you on your comments. I know it is a common method to discredit an opposing view by labelling someone an anti-vaxxer (I am not; I’m for a safe vaccine, if one is ever to be developed.). Another method to discredit someone is to proclaim that they don’t care if people die of the Virus if they don’t agree with you. I’m throwing it back on you now: YOU don’t care about the people who will kill themselves out of hopelessness; YOU don’t care about small businesses that’ll close their doors (their livelihoods) maybe permanently; YOU don’t care about the children/women/men that will be victims if domestic abuse; YOU don’t care about people defaulting on their mortgages; YOU don’t care about bills going unpaid by families with ZERO income right now; YOU don’t care about the people who’ll lose their sobriety and slip back into alcoholism; YOU don’t care about the people who will starve; YOU support the inevitable looting that will take place; YOU don’t care about anyone who dies because other medical conditions were put on hold in priority of COVID care; YOU don’t care about people’s mental health; YOU don’t care about the children who DO need teachers and educators to guide and educate them; YOU don’t care about the economy crashing down around us; YOU don’t care if a mandated vaccine kills or permanently damages people or if people refuse, YOU don’t care if their freedom is taken away. YOU DON’T CARE. YOU love your shackles; YOU are pathetic, begging your leaders for MORE shutdowns, MORE regulations, and MORE handouts; YOU prefer to be in a nanny state than be responsible for yourself. I will NOT tolerate a person telling me that I don’t care about lives. I care about the situation in it’s entirety. AND, I care a lot about a vaccine that may be hoisted upon us without our will. Multiple vaccines are in the works and will be probably be administered without adequate testing (maybe even our Country will be the Guinea pig—wouldn’t that be sweet!). There will be no prior announcement; one day the supply, the needles, and the personnel will be here. Everything is in the works as I write today; a vaccine that will forever alter our DNA and that of our progeny (“population control”-you may have heard of it — Bill Gates, the Rockefellers, the WHO and others who secretly believe in eugenics), but mark my words and those who have studied and know, this is the plan for humanity. Deny it at your peril; call me a Conspiracy Theorist, I don’t care. I know what I know because I have researched. What have you done, Observer, but show your ignorance of diseases which are now pretty well extinct and even now as to the safety of the vaccines that eliminated them. What were the trade-offs? Is the new COVID vaccine, because of its UNIQUE ability to Integrate into and alter a person’s DNA, and therefore fulfill the Eugenics agenda, really what YOU want? YOU don’t know and YOU don’t care. I DO! God bless and protect Humanity.

Yes you are a conspiracy theorist and a long winded one at that

OBSERVER

With people like Hogan smallpox would still abound, and kids would be dying in school from Diptheria and Scarlet fever and Salk would have been jailed.

OBSERVER

Landlocked

Of course they will try to get everyone to take it. If you refuse, you will certainly lose benefits. Like possibly having to wear a mask everywhere you go or at your place of employment. They will try to force it on newborns also. The days of freedom are disappearing everywhere.

OBSERVER

OMG. Here we go again

Mhogan

This should scare everyone, since no vaccine has ever been proven safe. If there’s a risk, we should have a choice. I fear we will not

Rubbish vaccinations have eliminated smallpox before you were born i imagine and have been a lifesaver in regards scourges like Polio. Go read some facts for a change Nobody will force you to take any. Your choice. However stop with this ridiculous scaremongering.