Panama cruise  port will be 2 years late,  cost millions more

1,201Views 30Comments Posted 06/10/2020

The Panama Maritime Authority (AMP) , has negotiated an addendum of $40.9 million in additional disbursements to the consortium that is building the Amador cruise port, which lift the cost from $165.7 million to $206.7 million.

The negotiation also entails an extension of time. The contractor originally had to complete the work in 540 calendar days; later, that was extended to 849 days and now, the consortium wants an additional 367 days.

If theextension is granted, the project would be delivered on September 30, 2022, that is, 1,216 days after (and not 540, stipulated in  the original contract) of the order to proceed, issued on October 5, 2017.

The details of came to light on s Tuesday, October 6, after a resolution published in the Official Gazette reports La Prensa.

In the resolution, the board of directors authorizes the administrator to start negotiations with the Cruceros del Pacífico consortium. The resolution is signed by the administrator Noriel  Araúz and the deputy administrator Ana Margarita Reyes. Araúz is also Minister for Maritime Affairs.

The Pacific Cruises consortium made up of the Belgian Jan De Nul and the Asian China Harbor Engineering Company Limited was awarded the work by bidding just over $165.7 million. Now, in notes to the AMP it mentions alleged "events" that have increased the cost of the project. At one point, it claimed $81.8 million in additional costs. The AMP ruled out several as unjustifiable

Related Articles

All of the women user names I've never seen before. Is that really you JB? Sounds like you. Up to your old tricks again?

Kathy

This place is full of dirty old men gringos. They even hit on me as if I'm a local girl. At 24 I have no interest in these gross, saggy, hairy fat old guys. You try to politely say no but they don't stop. If see an old gringo here look down and keep walking.

11 months ago

kamala....What do you know about us old geezers' erections??? I'm doing just fine, thank you. I also don't want anything to do with a young woman with her head in her phone and her hand in my wallet.

Kamala

If a girl is over 18 let her date who she wants. These 70+ year old geezers haven't had an erection in decades so these girls are nothing more than arm candy for a nearly dead boomer desperate to get close to youth again. The shit that goes on down here that passes for normal. I should write a book!

11 months ago

Speak for yourself idiot. Bugaba....you're part of the problem.

11 months ago

Speak for yourself idiot.

Palm tree

Well good for you Laura. If we could have afforded Uruguay we would have moved there too. Typical rich New Yorker rubbing everyone's nose in your shit!

Bugaba

Everybody else is banging these girls so why should the old gringos be excluded. It's the culture and if you don't like if leave. We don't need judgmental people here. Cold beer and young pussy that's why we retire here!

Laura Stiles

In 2017 we sold our real estate in New York and began to explore living abroad. After visiting and passing on Costa Rica we crossed the border into Panama and spent about 8 days exploring ending up in Panama City. We stayed at the El Panama hotel in the city. Besides the filth and abject poverty we found Panama to be very low low, not at all like we had read online. When we went to eat at an open air cafe on via veneto we could not believe how may old men had pretty young latinas having brunch. We scratched Panama as well as Medellin off our list and skipped Ecuador totally. Me settled here in Montevideo Uruguay and have never looked back. A strong rich culture, no filth and the young women here would never go out with a 78 year old. The difference between an educated country and Panama. If you can afford it this is a much classier place than the Panama ghettos.

catch3467

So much BS written on this website. I am a 78 year young retiree and have spent 13 years in Venezuela, 1-1/2 year in Panama. The funny thing, some young ladies did try to start a relationship with me. I have always refused. But, am I saying that all young women are b....? Absolutely not. And I have been id 30 countries so far. True...there are "Spring and Winter" relationship everywhere, especially in poorer countries. Is that wrong? I am not so sure about that as I have witnessed some very loving relationship. So please, do not judge older men if you do not want to be judged in the same manner when you reach your own winter.

11 months ago

Holy crap!!! You all are full of bullshit! I'm 73 years old, been here 8 1/2 years, NEVER been to a whore house, and not looking for a young woman to massage my ego. I have 3 children and 9 grandchildren and moved here for the weather and economy. Best decision I've made in a long time. Beautiful country and friendly people. You paint with a very broad brush and should rethink your idiotic simple minded statements.

Penelope

Virgil I think thee doth protest to much! Old Pervs couldn't get away with this in the States so they move here in droves. DISGUSTING!!!

Mary Ellen

So many dirty old men with young girls here it boggles the mind. You can see from the comments here some think it's a perfectly natural thing. It's become so pervasive here there's a stigma associated with any older man whether he has a young girl or not. While people may not say it to your face it's in the minds of everyone who sees you. If you are going to live in Panama just accept that you are a dirty old pervert by default in the eyes of the population.

Sinbad

Never knew so many dirty old gringos existed until I came to Panama. Some are more discreet and target the young college girls. Others are more open and you can see them dining out with their teen concubines. They really should do one of those "To catch a predator" shows down here. If you see an old gringo in Panama whether he has a teen on his arm or not you can bet he has one somewhere. When I was back in Chicago last year some old boomer was talking to me at the airport. He looked to be late 60's. When I told him I was traveling to Panama he immediately began to tell me about his time in Panama and it didn't take long for him to get on the subject of the girls. Old gringos are in Panama for one reason and it doesn't matter if they bring a wife for cover, the ones with wives are the worst IMO. They brag about hitting the whore houses why the wife is at Spanish class or horseback riding lessons. Old gringo = pervert 99% of the time IMO.

DevilsAdvocate

China Harbor Engineering Company – The same CHEC that is a subsidiary of CCCC which is on the US Sanctions list for building island military outposts in the South China Sea and was disbarred by the World Bank for fraudulent practices in the Philippines. and is infamous for their port work in Asia. “CHEC is responsible for two mega-projects in Sri Lanka, often brought up as a poster child for white elephant BRI deals. CHEC is behind the $1.4 billion construction of Colombo New Port City in Sri Lanka. It was also involved in the infamous $1.5 billion Hambantota Port project, which was later leased to another Chinese firm to help Sri Lanka cover debt payments” https://thediplomat.com/2020/08/with-latest-sanctions-us-casts-a-shadow-over-chinas-belt-and-road/ https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/US-China-tensions/US-blacklists-Belt-and-Road-builder-for-role-in-South-China-Sea Doesn’t seem like nearly enough oversight goes into the bid selection process.

VJ

Virgil E Eaves Jr

I personaly know more than ten gringos of 60 years age or more who are my neighbors. None, not even one, is a sexual predator. All but one are married happily and have no interest in the drama and expense of teenagers. We all live on an island there is NOTHING secret on the island. Gigi and Boquete Kid are are just full of hate and jealousy of people who earned a decent retirement. Sucks to be you.

Oh ya

2 things .when the goverment accepts a bid they should throw out the high and the low bid.it gets rid of the rif-raf .and 2nd who would want ro get on a floating oetri dish even before covid .

Bugaba

I went on a cruise once. Terrible waste of money. It's like going on vacation for 7 days at the nursing home. No thank you!

11 months ago

I didn't say I LIKE 50 year old women. At my age, 50 IS young.

Punta Arenas

Really Observer you like the 50 year olds here? Panamanian aten't like a fine wine and age poorly past the age of 30. So many have hunched and crooked backs and wrinkles around their eyes and face sagging by age 30. If they have had a kid ( a certainty) then everything else is advanced age also. All you flabby old gringas stop your shaming, just jealous no one will throw your ugly ass a stiffy.

Bocas Nancy

So all the pervs binge watch Little Cuties on netflix and then hop a plane to Panama. I hope they book into one of the many Covid hotels, filthy old expats!

Jbbrown

You don't need game here just a SS check will do the trick.

11 months ago

I'm an old gringo. Been here 8 1/2 years and when I think "young", I'm thinking 50 is YOUNG!! When an old gringo is with a young woman, her head is in her phone and her hand is in his pocket. Reminds me of Tina Turner's "Whats love got to do with it".

Gloria

There is never anything natural about a 70 year with a 22 year old. You creepy old perverts need to leave Panama. I agree if you see an old gringo here go the other way!

Boquete Kid

GIGI and Ginger you sound like the typical old gringa! There is nothing more natural in Panama than to see a 70 year old gringo hand in hand with a 22 year old local. What is out of place is old gringas who are past their use by date and can't get a look from anyone. Stop the hate and embrace the generational love .

802mark

panama's sex tourist isn't really a big thing here, due to the amount of better looking all around women in C.R. and Colombia. over budget and far over the time limit? surprise surprise I can't believe it. I don't think it the history of this country has any huge contract come in at the bid price and on time. none. and never ever will. I do understand from time to time there are things that come up that was not known, but when you bid on a 165.7 million dollar job, you better have your stuff tight. of course who ever is approving all these works must not know what the heck they are doing to even allow for that much over run and over time. and yes a new port won't do well anyway, it brings very little money if any at all to anyone but the people who block the docks off to outsiders wanting to try to sale anything. the contract for any winning bid, should have the overage amount and time amount ironed into them, x amount only on covering the cost of proven things that were not know at the time of the bidding, and a little cost over run room for that as well, but that is it, those contracts should be written to with hold funds for any of them that can not do what they agreed to do when they bid. all these firms that have in the past cheated us on many levels or where caught with under the table pay outs, should never be allowed to bid on anything else in this country again. If the people don't start dropping a hammer on these things then it will be this way for the next 200 years.

Gigi

If you see an gringo wandering around here 9 times out of 10 he's a sex tourist here to get a local teen he met online or to pull a Colombian whore out of the Veneto. Next time you see a gringo down here cross the street because he's probably a predator.

Harry

Cruising precovid was very casual and that was the draw for many elderly people. The new regulations have really taken the fun out of cruising. Less buffet, daily nose swab testing, only allowed off ship at port if you have a prepurchased excursion. If you deviate from the excursion you are prohibited from reboarding. Limited seating at nightly shows. Limited hot tub or pool use. Limited or no gym use. Mandatory social distancing on ship etc etc... the list of rules goes on and on. Cruising will never be as enjoyable and I agree that younger generations are not interested. As far as Panama it's been way over hyped. People pay top dollar to come here with high expectations only to leave disappointed. The trip advisor reviews of Panama resorts run the gammet from diarrhea to sexual assault and everything in between. Panama does attract a certain male predator clientel but other people come here for a serious vacation and leave feeling cheated.

Ginger

It's true that the under 40 demographic view cruising as a "Boomer" activity. The millenials prefer fly in locations like Islands or Europe. Panama is known more as a sex tourist destination hence so many dirty old leacherous gringos down here. Tourism as a whole has shrunk and Panama has positioned itself poorly making it a 5th tier destination. If we see dollar inflation in the next 12 months then Panama becomes even less attractive to the seasonal Canadians. I think the cruise industry will become a smaller niche market going forward.

Jbbrown

Younger people aren't interested in cruising and the older population are accustomed to all you can eat buffet and no restrictions on ship. When the slimmed down cruise lines start back up with a smaller fleet and smaller customer base there will be less need for so many ports of call. Panama as usual is 15 years late with a modern cruise port. I guess like all other public works projects here it creates an opportunity for the leftist politicians and their families to skim profits through corruption.